Wednesday, April 25, 2007

From Start to Finish

Thought today I would describe what David does in order to make an item.

  • Orders Pattern
  • Copies pattern, keeps original
  • Makes any corrections on pattern that it needs
  • Chooses wood
  • Sands/planes wood
  • Cuts out pattern
  • Glues pattern to wood with spray on adhesive
  • Tapes the pattern to wood using packaging tape
  • Drills all the holes - sometimes over 300 holes
  • Scrollsaws all the parts that need to be cut out, changing blades often
  • If pattern needs a backing, tapes that on and finishes the outer edge
  • Removes pattern
  • Sands wood again, hands it over to me to finish
  • Glues backing on, nails sawtooth hanger on or whatever item needs to totally finish it

As you can see, a lot of time and effort goes into creating each piece. Sometimes projects go into the scrap pile because they break, didn't meet our standards, etc. He did a cougar arrowhead clock and completely finished it at which time the side broke. Very frustrating since he had put quite a few hours into the piece. That's part of the crafting world though!!

2 comments:

SylviaV said...

Wow. This is very interesting- I love to know what goes into different crafts. I don't think I'd have the patience to drill that many holes, I have enough issues with just doing a few!

WoodNVisions said...

I don't think I'd have the patience either, but he does!